Thank you for entering the Insight Student Filmmaker Award. It’s a great prize and Insight is always looking to connect with talented filmmakers -who knows where your entry might lead!
We want to make sure that we make the process as open and equal as possible, so we’ve spent some time creating Submission Notes and Rules so that we can be as clear as possible.
We know that rules are never super-exciting, but please do read through this page so that you know exactly what you need to enter and what the Award includes.
Good luck from all of us here at Insight and we look forward to your entry!
Submission Notes – Please read carefully
To enter the Student Filmmaker Award, based on the Award Theme, submit an entry form together with either of the below, i.e. either 1 or 2:
1. A two-page synopsis of a movie you would like to make together with a five-page sample of a script (or script in progress) or storyboard – to email@example.com
2. A short film or 5 minutes of rushes relevant to the Award that is a maximum length of five minutes – there is space within the online entry form to include a link
The theme of the Student Filmmaker Award is ‘A Newer Hope’. You may interpret this theme in any way you like. Our definition of ‘faith’ includes any belief, disbelief or aspect of spirituality. We want entrants to engage critically with ‘faith’ as a powerful part of the human experience.
The Insight Festival began in 2007 with the aim of encouraging filmmakers to make films addressing the theme of ‘faith’. It actively welcomes people from all faith backgrounds and none. For further information visit the Student Filmmaker Award section of our website
As long as the material relates to the theme of faith – irrespective of whether or not you developed your material for other purposes (e.g. submission of films to other festivals or competitions, even if the film won awards) – we will accept submission of your material for entry to the Student Filmmaker Award, provided you hold full authority to grant the permissions required by the Insight Film Festival as specified in the Rules for the competition.
One (1) winner of the Student Filmmaker Award will be offered a creative internship of up to six weeks with Loyola Productions in Culver City, California (‘Hollywood’). The prize for the Award includes the basic costs of flights from the UK and local accommodation during the internship period. The internship winner must be available for 6 weeks between June and September 2016. Incidental expenses, including subsistence and insurance, will be the responsibility of the Award winner.
The Judging Process
Judges will select a small number of finalists to be interviewed in a process that may also involve a Skype conversation with Loyola Productions. They will be looking for an entrant who is ‘committed to filmmaking and would benefit from the awarded internship.’ Please note that we are looking for a winner who wants a career in film and is willing to acknowledge the value of the Insight Student Filmmaker Award. It is a condition of the award that the winner will:
- Create a blog diary (through the Insight blog, as a written account or as a video log) including one entry for each week on the internship
- Produce a reflective report on their internship experiences, referencing the blog entries, what they have gained and what would have improved the internship, within four weeks of the end of the Internship
- Respond to requests for material for media coverage of the Insight Student Filmmaker Award and agree to feature on the Insight website and other media as the winner of the internship
- Support, where possible, promotion of subsequent Insight Student Filmmaker Awards, e.g. attending press conference if available, providing quotes about their experiences.
The deadline date for entries to the Student Filmmaker Award is 31 March 2017.
You need to complete a submission form online as soon as possible and email any materials to firstname.lastname@example.org. i.e. scripts, storyboards, synopsis need to be sent via email to email@example.com. If you are submitting a film or rushes then you will be able to insert a link into the online form.
If you need to post a DVD or other material in support of your entry, please send it to:
c/o Professor David Butler
Board Member, Insight Film Festival:
Martin Harris Centre for Music and Drama-SL08,
School of Arts, Languages and Cultures,
The University of Manchester
Manchester M13 9PL
Please read the Rules page carefully: if you submit an entry for the Student Filmmaker Award you will be bound by them. Take special care of those Rules that relate to copyright and to your availability.
When you are ready to enter please go to the Insight submission form page.